Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Our Math Unit

Hello Parents,

I wanted to update you on our first math lesson of this new unit! In our last unit, we focused upon fractions, decimals and percents. In this unit we're starting with ratios and proportions. This allows us to draw upon our recently learned knowledge from fractions because we use them in ratios and proportions.
In this lesson we discussed what the dictionary terms as ratios and proportions, and what we as students term as ratios and proportions. I then demonstrated how to do the problems, and the students practiced the problems on their own after I demonstrated.
We then tied this math lesson into our Earth Science lesson by talking about the sizes of the planets in our solar system. We've been using our SmartBoard to copy and paste graphics of the planets to the board, and then manipulating them with our hands. It's an amazing feat to be able to click, drag and move things on our "chalk board" with our hands! We then found the ratios and proportions between Earth and the rest of the planets in our solar system. You will be seeing homework this evening for the students to complete the assignment. This will require them to have the sizes of the additonal planets at the ready, and you may be asked for some help finding the planet sizes. If you're looking for where to find the sizes of the planets, I suggest using http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/interactives/messenger/psc/PlanetSize.html

You can also reach this link by going to delicious.com and looking for my tag : shoupgr5

On this website they also show you the ratio, which may be helpful!

I hope you enjoy seeing the planets come alive in your students' work --- in all subject areas!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply to this post or e-mail or call me.

Hope all is well and bustling in your lives!

Ms.Shoup

No comments:

Post a Comment